Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Skinny Enchilada Casserole

I tried a new recipe last night and it was absolutely delish so I wanted to share it with you guys. When I first started blogging, I never thought I'd be posting so many recipes. Hell, when I first started life, I never thought I'd even cook. In college, my sorority sisters and I would have "family dinners" where we'd cook our favorite frat friends a meal and drink wine. Well, they'd cook and I'd be in charge of cutting the carrots (& drinking all the wine). It was pretty much a fancier way to get drunk together on a school night. Anyway, I wasn't allowed near the oven because my specialty was microwave popcorn and Kraft mac&cheese. 

This all changed when Pinterest was introduced into my life. It was the best thing to ever happen to mine and my oven's relationship and when I send pictures to my sorority sisters of the dinner I just made, they get really confused and ask me who I am. I'm obviously no Rachel Ray (Thank God, I can't stand that woman) but I'm just glad I'm not in charge of cutting the carrots anymore.
 
 
Ingredients:
1 ¼ lbs extra lean ground turkey (I used Jennie-O)
1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (10 oz) can refrigerator biscuits, cut into quarters (I used my store brand Meijer “Homestyle” biscuits)
1 cup shredded low fat Mexican Cheese

 
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly mist a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. (Grab Coors Light from fridge and take a big sip because you just drove around for a half an hour trying to find a parking spot outside of your own house)
2. Brown turkey in a large skillet or sauté pan. I used a smaller pan and made a mess so size does matter. See what I did there?  
3. Add the enchilada sauce, tomato sauce and black beans and stir to combine. Stir the biscuit pieces into the meat mixture.
4. Transfer the entire mixture to the prepared baking dish and spread out evenly. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the cheese on top. Bake an additional 10 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
 
I say this is a "skinny" recipe because according to myfitnesspal app: 307 calories, 34 g carbs, 6 g fat, 32 g protein, 4 g fiber per serving. Not bad.
The only thing I'd change is maybe use a bigger can of refrigerated biscuits. Who doesn't like biscuits? But then that'd probably make it less "skinny".. so you swap the Coors Light for a Mich Ultra. Done and done.
 
This recipe is definitely a winner.. Your boyfriend will go back for seconds and your dog will look really cute while begging for some.
 
See?
 
Enjoy!

5 comments:

BrittanyxoLeigh said...

Thank God for Pinterest!! This looks so freaking yummy! Perfect for a girls night + some margaritas. Damn I wish is were summer already. p.s. your dog is adorable. No wonder mine is getting a little pudgy, I give into that face every time.

Ashley - Married to the Game said...

This sounds delicious! Biscuits are not part of the wedding diet, but I'll have to make this for my fiance. He would love it. Thanks for sharing!

Ashley, Married to the Game

Amanda - Voyage of the MeeMee said...

oh my goodness stop it... that face... how can you say no to that face?!?!

Kym Fox said...

Mmmmm this sounds delish! I've never tried to make enchiladas on my own but this recipe looks easy enough for me to not screw up and it looks pretty darn tasty ;) Thanks for sharing! xo

Tammy Jo said...

Thanks for sharing! That looks super good!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...