Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Let's Get Drunk & Bet On Some Ponies

I can not even begin to explain how excited I am that spring has finally sprung in Michigan. It's about damn time.

I don't have any cool stories about what I've been up to lately because I really haven't done anything cool since I became a dog mother. She's really cramping our style (did I just say that?) We actually got to go out on a real date over the weekend and I had never been so excited to go out to eat drink my weight in alcohol.
 
She gets her big girl shots soon so she can actually venture out into the real world but until then, I'm stuck here.. being a dog butler. Because that's exactly what I am. I'm just not getting paid to do it.
 
However, I think I'm being awesome this weekend because I am throwing a Kentucky Derby party! If I can't venture out to party, I bring the party to me.
 
We will be wearing these:
Which will probably look more like this since I'm making my own: 
 And eating these: 
Kentucky Hot Browns
Which will probably look more like this: 

 And drinking these: 
Mint Juleps
Which will definitely lead us to too many of these: 
 As we bet on: 

If you can't tell, I'm extremely pumped. If you're feeling festive this weekend and you'd like to make yourself a Mint Julep while enjoying a Kentucky Hot Brown, this is how you do it:
 
Mint Julep
 
You'll Need:
 3 mint leaves
1 oz. simple syrup
4 oz. bourbon
shaved ice
big ass hat
 
1. Put the mint leaves in the bottom of a mixing glass
2. Pour in simple syrup and 1 oz. bourbon
3. Muddle to crush the mint leaves and mix the syrup and bourbon
4. Add the rest of the bourbon
5. Strain into a cocktail glass filled with shaved ice
6. Garnish with a mint sprig
7. Get drunk while wearing your big ass hat
 
Kentucky Hot Brown
(Bites, because I like everything to be fun sized)
 
You'll Need:
 
Mornay Sauce
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
Pinch of freshly ground pepper
Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
1/2 cup coarsely grated Swiss

Kentucky Hot Brown Bites
1 can refrigerated crescent rolls
1 cup finely chopped turkey
1 cup mornay sauce
2 slices bacon, chopped
1 tomato, diced
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
 
Mornay Sauce:

1. Melt butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Stir in flour, and cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute.
(Do not let mixture brown)
3. Add milk, whisking constantly.
4. Bring to a low boil, and cook, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes more.
5. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
6. Remove from heat, and stir in cheese.
7. Allow to cool slightly.

Bites:
 
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a small bowl, combine finely chopped turkey and mornay sauce.
3. Lightly spray a mini muffin pan with non stick cooking spray.
4. Unroll crescent rolls and press dough into one large rectangle.
5. Cut rectangle into 24 squares.
6. Press dough squares into muffin cups and shape up around the edges.
7. Fill each muffin cup with some of the turkey mixture.
8. Top each bite with some diced tomato, bacon and parmesan cheese.
9. Bake 13-15 minutes or until lightly browned.

I hope I at least inspired you to celebrate the Kentucky Derby with me this weekend!
 If not, you better throw on a sombrero on Sunday for my second favorite holiday ever,
Cinco de Drinko Mayo.

 photo bye2_zpsf46d5332.png
 PS. I think I finally did something bloggerish. I might have successfully made a button. I say "I think" and "I might have" because I don't know if it actually works but I'm kinda sorta hoping that it does because then I'll feel like I finally did something right in the world of blogging! I'm having a proud moment. Until I learn that I didn't do it right.. which is probably the case.
 
 photo button2_zps8df336b7.jpg

 
 If you take one, tell me! I want to add all of your pretty buttons too.



5 comments:

Chelsee W said...

Well the good news is that the button works!! I just tried it out:)

Stephanie said...

Hahaha I am forever a butler to Hawkeye, it'll never end. I'm going to the Derby, I'm excited!

Erin said...

Ahh your party sounds amazing!! I live for theme parties. And I am so proud of you for making a button. I found that extremely challenging and thought I was a damn genius when I finally made one. I will put it on my page asap. And you will always be a butler if your dog is anything like mine!

Unknown said...

That party sounds so fun and I love mint juleps! I have a puppy too and he is extremely high maintenance and it's hard in the beginning, but it definitely does get easier!

Erin said...

Thanks for the invite...our relationship is now over. Way to go. I went to Belmont Stakes in Long Island last year and wore a fancy dress and big floppy hat. I think I was born to live in the era that did that daily.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...